October 7, 2019
How To Keep Your Replacement Window Shades and Blinds Clean
The replacement windows on your Kirkland home will only look as good as the blinds and shades that cover them. Use these tips to help keep your blinds and shades clean.
The replacement windows on your Kirkland, WA home will only look as good as the blinds and shades that cover them, no matter if they’re brand new or a few years old. However, a lot of homeowners find it hard to clean shades and blinds, and with good reason. It can be tricky.
But, since window shade and blind maintenance is a big part of replacement window maintenance, it has to be done. Use the following tips, and you’ll find it a lot easier to keep your window shades and blinds looking great and working well for your replacement windows:
- Use A Fabric Cleaner – You can always take your fabric shades down and bring them to a professional cleaner, like your local dry cleaner. There are also some towns that have specific shade and blind cleaning businesses.
- Wipe Wood – Wood shades can be cleaned with a little water on a soft cloth. Just slightly dampen the cloth, and wipe away dirt, dust or grime. Be sure to wipe away any excess moisture with a second, dry cloth when you’re done.
- Gentle Dusters – Some cheap or poorly made dusters can scratch or damage your shades. If you prefer to use a duster, be sure to get a feather or lamb’s wool duster, as these kinds are soft and scratch-free. Brush the duster up and down on the shade to remove any dust or dirt.
- Vacuum – Dust quickly builds up on shades, making them look dirty and dingy. Use your vacuum to remove dust buildup on your shades. Place the brush attachment on the end of the hose and gently move it down the shades.
- Bath Time – You can always give your shades a deep clean at home. Fill your bathtub with warm, soapy water, and lower the blinds inside. Slowly swirl them around the tub, or gently move them up and down. Be sure to rinse them well after washing to remove any excess soap or leftover grime. Hang them up outside to dry quickly so they don’t drip on your floors.
- Spot Cleaning – It’s easy to spot clean shades with an all-purpose cleaner. However, always spray the cleaner onto a clean, soft cloth and never directly only the shades.
It’s not hard to keep your window shades looking just as great so your replacement windows can function well and look stylish, especially if you use these tips. If you’re still having trouble, you can always hire a professional cleaner to come in and help you out.
If you want to learn more window shade tips, or have questions about Kirkland, WA replacement windows, Puget Sound Window & Door would love to help. We offer a wide range of replacement window services from our showroom located at 445 E Main Ave Puyallup, WA 98372. Please give us a call at (253) 904-8658 to learn more about what we can do for you and your windows.