These tips, from checking your ducts to installing new replacement windows on your Tacoma, WA home, can help you stay cool and comfortable in your house while maybe saving a little money on air conditioning.
- Install Replacement Windows – The US Department of Energy says that we lose up to 30% of what we spend on cooling through inefficient windows. That means if you replace the windows in your home you can save 30% of your current energy costs. Plus, the newer and more efficient windows you have, the cooler your house will be in the summer.
- Use Ceiling Fans – Though ceiling fans don’t actually change the temperature of a room, they help us feel cooler. Moving air feels cooler against our skin than stagnant air, plus the circulation helps move the hot air up to the ceiling and the cool air down towards you.
- Check Your Air Conditioner Ducts – Your AC unit can work hard all day long, but it won’t do a thing if your AC ducts are leaky. Misaligned, leaky, or otherwise damaged ducts can leak cool air and prevent it from getting where it needs to go. You can do small duct repairs yourself, but for bigger issues be sure to hire a professional.
- Close Unused Vents – You can close off the air conditioning vents in unused rooms in order to help direct the cool air into rooms that are used. You should also close the AC vents in your basement as basements are already cool enough without the extra cool air.
- Reinforce Your Insulation – Even the best insulation will degrade over time, causing leaks that suck out all the cool air in your home. Reinforcing your insulation where it has deteriorated can be a huge help when you’re trying to cool your home.
- Cook Outside – You know what ovens and stoves produce? Heat. Try cooking outside on the grill during the summer to avoid adding additional heat to your home. Plus, grilled foods are delicious.
- Invest in New Doors – Just like windows, your doors can let out all your air-conditioned air if they’re old or leaky. Investing in new entry doors can go a long way towards cooling off your home and lowering your energy bill.
- Clean in and Around Your Air Conditioner – The areas in and around your AC need to be clean and clear in order for it to perform at an optimal level. Clear away weeds, vines and other debris from the area around your unit and be sure to clean inside the unit as well.
- Close the Curtains – While sunlight is lovely, it can really heat a space. Try closing the curtains, blinds or shades in rooms that aren’t in use to help prevent extra heat buildup from sunlight.
- Change Your Filters – Air conditioners have filters that need to be changed, especially in the summer months when the AC is working overtime. Creating a regular filter replacement schedule can prolong the life of your AC unit and help keep your home cool.
Puget Sound Window & Door is here to help if you want more tips or information on Tacoma, WA replacement windows.