September 17, 2018
Tips For Shopping For Replacement Windows and Doors
There are so many options out there for replacement windows and doors. Use these tips to guide you through your shopping experience to find the best options for your home.
Finding the best replacement windows and doors for Kirkland, WA can be hard. From the thousands of companies to confusing ratings and every other issue in between, it’s easy to feel lost.
Use the following tips when shopping for your replacement windows and doors to make sure you find the best options for you and your home.
1) More Expensive Doesn’t Necessarily Mean Higher Quality
Wouldn’t it be great if windows and doors were accurately priced to reflect quality and performance? As annoying as it is, in our world you can’t trust price to reflect quality. While some more expensive brands do make amazing windows and doors, there are plenty of cost effective options that are just as effective, visually appealing, and functional.
Instead of looking at a price tag for an idea of the item’s quality, take a peek at the rating label. This label can clue you in to how energy efficient and effective the window or door is. Rating labels include measurements such as:
- U-factor generally ranges from 0.2 to 1.20. The lower the value, the better the window or door is at keeping your conditioned or heated air inside.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient or SHGC measures from 0 to 1, with the lower numbers meaning a better door or window.
- Visible Transmittance is the amount of light a window or door lets in. Ranging from 0 to 1, higher numbers mean more light.
2) Take Washington Weather Into Consideration
You need to make sure your replacement windows and doors match Washington’s climate requirements. Thankfully, Energy Star, a government supported program that rates windows and doors, has compiled a list of ratings perfect for Washington. Look for windows and doors with ratings like:
- Windows with U-factor of 0.27 or less
- Opaque doors (no glass) with a U-factor of 0.17 or less
- ¼ or ½ Lite doors (about 50% glass or less) with a U-factor of 0.25 or less and an SHGC of 0.25 or less
Replacement windows and doors can get very expensive, so you need to budget carefully and spend your money where you need it most. Window and door upgrades can boost your overhead installation costs by up to 50 percent, so rather than spending randomly or letting yourself get talked into upgrades you don’t need, focus on what your home needs and how replacement windows and doors can help.
However, you should take care not to cut corners where it counts. For example, the frame is the basis of the entire door or window structure. Choose your frame material carefully, and don’t shy away from investing in high quality materials.
4) Trust Puget Sound Window & Door
The final tip for getting great replacement windows and doors is to trust Puget Sound Window & Door with your project. We have years of Kirkland, WA replacement windows and doors experience, and can easily guide you through. Visit our showroom at 445 E Main Ave Puyallup, WA 98372, or give us a call at (253) 904-8658 for more information.