December 16, 2019
Hurricane Window Coverings and Your Replacement Windows
Hurricane window coverings, like the following, are a good investment for additional security and severe weather protection for your Tacoma, WA replacement windows.
Tacoma, WA has seen its share severe weather over the years. Adding hurricane window coverings to the Redmond replacement windows on your home is a good idea as they can not only help protect you and your property during severe weather, but can also add additional security and peace of mind against natural disasters or break ins.
Here is a list of different varieties of hurricane window coverings and their pros and cons to help you learn more about your options if you’re interested in adding them to your replacement windows.
- Colonial Shutters – Colonial shutters are louvered, but they come in two pieces that are attached to the walls beside the window. The two pieces can be swung together and latched to protect the window. Colonial shutters are easy to use, permanent and stylish, but some models do require a storm bar or center rod to lock the shutters in place.
- Bahamas Shutters – These window shutters are one-piece louvered shutters that are attached above the windows they protect and prop up to open. They are convenient as they can be lowered for extra protection or raised when not in use. They are also easy to use, permanent, and usually aesthetically pleasing. However, Bahamas shutters can be weaker than other types, and often block too much light for some homeowners.
- Accordion Shutters – This shutter style has a one- or two-piece construction that folds away on either side from the replacement window when not in use. Accordion shutters are permanent and can be locked to add security, and they fold out like an accordion to add extra protection. However, they can look bulky and are therefore not very stylish. They can also be broken into more easily than other kinds of shutters.
- Roll Down Shutters – Roll down shutters are attached to the wall above the window and can be rolled away and stored in an enclosed box when not needed. They are available in different styles. Each different style features a different rolling method like hand cranks or automatic buttons. However, they can be very expensive and oftentimes require a battery backup system in case of power outages, but they are great for added protection and are easy for one person to use.
- Storm Panel Shutters – Generally made of aluminum or steel, these shutters are attached to the walls around the window on bolts or tracks. They are very secure as they have overlapping corrugated panels. Storm panel shutters come in three different styles: one style uses both tracks and bolts. The second style has C-shapes tracks at the top and bottom of the window, while the third only has bolts to secure it to the wall. It’s easy to choose the best style for you and your home. Storm panels are great as they are inexpensive and strong but are bad as they can be tough to install and use.
If you want to learn more about hurricane window coverings or about window replacement in Tacoma, Puget Sound Window & Door is here to help. Please stop by and visit us at 445 E Main Ave Puyallup, WA 98372, or give us a call at (253) 904-8658 today.